The trickiest part about publishing an e-book is getting it into all the right file formats for Kindle, Apple iBooks, Kobi, and other readers. This is a tutorial on how I did it for my newest book, Jolt.
Here are the steps:
- Write, edit and format on Reedsy. I wrote Jolt on Reedsy. For my last book, Marketing for Developers, I used Pressbooks which is also good.
- Export PDF version from Reedsy. Reedsy is similar to Medium in that the writing UI looks very similar to the PDF output.
- Export ePub version from Reedsy. I've tried all sorts of ePub formatting tools, and this has been my favorite output so far.
- Use ePub version to create MOBI in Calibre. Here's the tricky part. For people to read your book on their Kindle, the file needs to be small (less than 10 MB). Initially I used Amazon's KindleGen, but the outputted file was way too big (50 MB). After that I tried Calibre, which is way better. When converting ePub to MOBI, it produced a well-formatted file that was 6 MB.
- Upload the files to Gumroad for sale. Currently, I'm only selling Jolt on Gumroad. In the future I may decide to expand to Amazon's Kindle store.
If you'd like to see a sample of the PDF export, download a free chapter below!